Monday, October 9, 2023

CST 311 - Week 6

 I learned much in this week about the Network layer. As much as I would love to go in much detail, I will keep this simple for the sake of efficiency.

The control-plane component of the network layer is the network-wide logic that controls not only how a datagram is routed along an end-to-end path from the source host to the destination host, but also how network-layer components and services are configured and managed. 

There are 2 internet routing protocols: OSPF and BGP. BGP is often referred to as the glue that hold the Internet together. 

Here are some photos that illustrate routing algorithms in the control plane: 


The goal of routing algorithms is to determine good path from senders to receivers through the network of routers. A "good" path is typically the one with the least cost. Graphs are used to formulate routing problems.
I also learned of the Link-State (LS) Routing Algorithm, Link-State Broadcast, Dijkstra's algorithm, the Distance-Vector (DV) Routing Algorithm and much, much more!

This week's lab was very interesting as well, and I got a sneak peak into how OpenFlow rules in an OpenFlow switch works. I look forward to finishing the rest of this semester in this Networking course with a bang. 

Until Next Time.




No comments:

Post a Comment

CST 462S - Service Learning

Overall, my experience working as a volunteer for NTS was great and I wouldn't have changed it any way! What went well?  I'd say ove...