Sunday, May 7, 2023

CST 363 - Week 1, Journal #1

 1. Relational databases and spreadsheets have major differences that set them apart. Some of those important differences are as follows:

- Relational databases have tables that have a predefined structure, whereas spreadsheets are more flexible and can store data in a variety of formats. 

- Relational databases enforce data integrity such as with foreign keys. A foreign key, for instance, in one table *must* match the primary key in another table. There are also constraints that enforce data is within a specific range or format. On the other hand, spreadsheets rely on manual data entry and are more prone to errors or inconsistencies.

-Scalability: Relational databases are designed to handle large amounts of data and can easily scale as data volume increases, but with spreadsheets it is very difficult to handle data growth and they can become unwieldy. 

2. While using files may seem beneficial to store data, it can get very complicated as the size of the data grows. Also, the features of using a database are very beneficial such as collaboration on modifying data, the querying and analysis features, and security. 

3. What I want to learn in this course that will be useful in my future career is how to properly manage and understand the use of data storage, integration with software systems, and more. I desire to be a very well-rounded individual in learning everything I can, so that in my future career as a software engineer I can attack and address any kind of problem that arises. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

CST 462S - Service Learning

Overall, my experience working as a volunteer for NTS was great and I wouldn't have changed it any way! What went well?  I'd say ove...